A runway show…
elegant black dresses
They’re here too – the shapes, textures, lines, and curves.
five thousand miles from Paris, at my door.
Seeing it all, I’m inspired
to grasp the magic box made of plastic and metal in my old hands.
To point it at something
just as a complex of sensations hisses
along the intricate pathways of my bodymind, informing a decision
I’ll pry the smooth little square from the box later.
I’ll sit in front of the computer
eyes fixed on the screen, fingers hovering over the keyboard
images floating in the light.
I’ll pick and choose. In some obscure part of my
thinking/feeling brain I’ll be moved
to make one shape darker, another shape brighter
one part sharper, one softer.
And then the leap over here
to this place where we meet across time and space
entangling our neurons with light.
The place where, when the stars align
you might experience a heightened noticing
a raised eyebrow, a widened pupil, a slight
upturn at the corners of the mouth.
The job is done.
What are these pictures?
- Leaves and bud of a Clasping twisted stalk (Streptopus amplexifolius).
- Leaf tip of an unidentified wildflower.
- Dead tree; Washington Park, Fidalgo Island.
- Buddha statue under a damaged plastic bag.
- Reflection of a tall, dead tree; Cranberry Lake, Fidalgo Island.
- Round rock under a damaged plastic bag.
- Nest that fell on the ground; Deception Pass State Park, Whidbey Island.
- Rock patterns; Larrabee State Park, Bellingham, Washington.
- Petals of a Dark-throated Shooting star (Primula pauciflora) seen from above.
- My shadow with a caustic.
- Three California sea lions snuggling on a float, seen from above; Newport, Oregon.
- Patterns in the sand; Bowman Bay beach, Deception Pass State Park, Fidalgo Island.